Thursday, October 15, 2009

Stay at Home vs. Working

I have been on both sides of this debate. When Taylor was 7 weeks old and I thought I HAD to go back to work it was the most heart wrenching feeling I've ever had. I left my tiny, precious, new baby with a complete stranger. I had met Julia, watched her with other kids and heard wonderful things from other people about her but as far as I was concerned there was noone in the world that would love and care for my baby the way I did. Did I choose to go back anyway? Yes. Did I cry every day I kissed him goodbye and drove away? Yes. Did it get easier like everyone said it would? No. When I got pregnant the second time I knew that the same feelings would come up again only I would be kissing two babies goodbye (yes, even though Taylor was 3, he was still and is still my baby). The further along in my pregnancy I got the harder it was for me to face the fact that the day of separation was coming. I knew I couldn't do it again. We somehow, some way had to figure out how we would make it on one income because there was no way I could leave another baby. We gave up cable, skipped on the gym membership, bought minimal groceries, clipped coupons and we have now survived two and a half years with one full time income. I have been able to get a waitressing job a couple nights a week and Tyron can stay at home with the kids those nights. The time we're getting with our kids is way more valuable than any earthly possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment