Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Attitude Adjustment

I have to admit that my attitude has sucked lately. I'm pretty much tired and grumpy most of the time and I'm in no mood to throw a party; HOWEVER my kids look forward to July 4 about as much has they do their birthdays and Christmas. Four years ago when Taylor was almost 5, Landon was 2 and Kenly was not even a year old a bunch of our neighbors decided we'd rather stay home on July 4 than battle the traffic so we threw together a neighborhood cook-out. It was a huge success and has become something the kids look forward to every year.

Since I have developed a bad attitude and just don't feel like doing anything especially socialize and clean up a mess in my yard I had decided I wasn't going to plan a block party this year. Well, the closer it got the more my kids and neighbors were asking if we were having the block party. I buckled under pressure and threw together an announcement, walked around the neighborhood one night at 8:00 with a trail of kids on bikes with me, put them on each mailbox and it was official...Our neighborhood would have it's annual July 4 Block Party.

Do you ever look forward to something and dread it at the same time? Like having a baby (sorta)...who wants to give birth but the outcome is worth it, right? That's how I was feeling about the block party. Geez, why does my attitude suck so bad? Maybe it was because I knew there would be tons of awesome food full of glorious calories and I've limited my intake considerably. I'll blame it on the food and my love for it. No, let's just blame it on me being lazy and not wanting to do anything.

Anyway, the day came and we set up the tables, chairs, tents, bases for kick ball and corn hole boards. All strategically planned so that we would be spread out among several houses and not at just one house. It was a success and I think everyone had a blast...including me and my bad attitude. 




A giant slip n slide with soap!
This looks dangerous.
No hands watermelon eating contest.
The set-up.
Happy kids = my attitude adjustment

No comments:

Post a Comment