Saturday, November 26, 2011

Christmas Bush

This is one of my all time favorite Christmas memories. It's from 2006 when I was pregnant with our second child. The following story is the one I sent wrote to my friends and family via email that year. I didn't have Facebook or a blog "back then".  I hope it brings you some joy as it does me each year.

Before looking at the attachment please read the story first. It'll make more sense....



As many of you know, Tyron, Taylor and I went to the mountains ofHillsville, VA for Thanksgiving with some friends. While we were there we picked a big, pretty tree to cut down and take home. It's the biggest tree we've ever had and since we have tall ceilings in our house now it worked out great. Our only problem when we set it up was the fact that it leaned slightly which drove Tyron crazy. This past Saturday it was leaning quite a bit so we thought we would just fix it when we got home from Mike's Farm in Jacksonville. When we got home Tyron, Taylor and I went to the front yard before going inside to admire the lights that Tyron had worked on all day on the outside of the house. It was truly a Grisald moment. He plugged them in and I heard an orchestra playing in my head. It was chilly outside so Kayla and Hannah (Tyron's 7 and 8 year old nieces) went inside. Hannah came out and said "Um, Aunt Stephanie, your tree fell over". I chuckled the entire time we stood the tree back up and threw all the decorations back on it.Tyron grumbled. So it was nice and straight and there was our big beautiful tree again. So Sunday morning I get up around 6:30 to let the dog out and then hop back into bed with my sleeping beauties (Tyron and Taylor). Around 7:20 we hear what sounds like a war in our living room and yes, the tree fell again only in the other direction toward the coffee table and couch. We must have over compensated when we stood it back up the night before. Anyway,Tyron jumps out of bed and says "THAT'S IT! IT'S GOING TO THE DUMP!" Taylor opens his eyes and says "what in the world?" We stand it back up and at this point I'm not chuckling but Tyron is and we pull everything off the tree.Tyron takes it to the back yard and calls his friend who has borrowed his chainsaw. His friend comes over to bring it and I'm thinking he'll just take care of it after church. Not exactly! While I'm taking a shower and getting ready for church he fires up the chainsaw and cuts the tree...FROM THE TOP!!! Since all this happened while I was in the shower I had no idea until we got in the car and he told me. I thought he was kidding but he really wasn't. When we got home he brought it in while I was making lunch and called me into the living room to hold it while he tightened the stand. My mouth fell open and then all I could do was laugh like a hyena. I laughed so hard I cried and my face and ribs hurt. So let me give you a visual....here is a tree that the stem was cut from the top and so there are branches going over the stem which should be the point. Tyron gets his pruning shears and starts wacking....again. When he's finished our tree looks like the singing bush on the Three Amigos. So yes, we're keeping the tree/bush and it will go down in history for us. Now, feast your eyes on this....



Before

After














1 comment: