Saturday, February 5, 2011

Late Night Grocery Shopping (Mis)Adventure

I love to grocery shop late at night. I got off work last night and headed to Harris Teeter. It was pouring rain so I ran from my car to the door with my beloved binder under my rain coat. I'll make the sacrifice of my hair getting wet and looking like a drowned rat but not willing to get my precious collection all soggy! I grabbed a few things in produce and down the aisles I went. I met a young mom on the condiments aisle that had a large stack of coupons in her hand and we talked for about 15 minutes about couponing strategies, places to get more coupons and how addicting this whole thing is. She had just ordered a bunch on coupon inserts off the internet and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the site. I'm going to search for it and post about it again if I find it. After my grocery shopping bonding time with my new coupon friend I went about my shopping. I reached for the worsteshire sauce that were lined up all neatly on the very top shelf and my rain coat sleeve got hooked on a bottle of something underneath it. Like a stack of dominoes those bottles fell with a crash! There I was all alone standing in a puddle of steak marinade! If I moved I tracked sauce to the clean spots on the floor so I just stood there until a VERY nice lady came to my rescue with a broom and some paper towels. I offered to mop it up and she insisted it was fine and cleaned up my great big mess. I walked away red in the face and tracking steak sauce. Someone walked by and said "man, that smell makes me want to grill out!" Geez!!! I removed my rain coat and took my time the rest of the time I was there.

My next misadventure was when I got to the check out line. There was only one guy working at this point because it was almost midnight. He called for help when he saw me coming! (Geez times a thousand). I asked him to do two check out orders because I went a little crazy and had more than 20 coupons, which is all Harris Teeter will allow. Well, i gave him my first batch of coupons before I was finished giving him the stuff and his system locked up. He had to void that order, take everything out of the bags and rescan everything! See, I had just told a friend earlier in the day that I had never had any issues at Harris Teeter so go figure!

All of that was completely worth it when I was time to pay. Here are the final figures....

Total before coupons and VIC = $234.83
Coupon and VIC savings = $178.88
Final total due = $55.95

I didn't take a picture of everything this time (my 7 year olf thinks I'm crazy for doing that anyway) but it was about 12:30am when I finally got home and I was ready to crash. Here's a little idea of what I got...
5 - 12 pack cans of coke products
6 - 2 liter Diet Rite (tyron's favorite)
3 - boxes Jello
2 - bags of Tortilla chips (for super bowl)
2 - boxes Triscuits
2 - boxes Wheat thins
4 - can evaporated milk
bananas
avocado
1 - gallon milk
Alot of yogurt
1 - 64oz. Juicy Juice
2 - frozen pizza
3 - jars Prego
1 - Ranch seasoning mix
2 - Jars Hot wing sauce
2 - Honey mustard dipping sauce
2 - Sweet Chili sauce
2 - worsteshire sauce
3 - tubes of toothpaste
1 - box pancake mix
1 - cookie dough mix
1 - Dish Liquid
2 - Snuggle Fabric Softener
2 - bags of rice (one white and one brown)
2 - 4 packs of quick rice
1 - Cocoa Puffs

Ok, I think that sums it up. I hear that they are going to be tripling again next week then they are going back to super doubles! Yay Harris Teeter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment